Nivea Men After Shave Balm Review


After months and months of seeing people rave about this brilliant product, I finally decided to take the plunge and try it out for myself. If you haven't kept up with the hype on this product, then you are probably wondering why on earth I would ever review a men's after shave balm. After NikkiTutorials graciously shared the knowledge of this product, it began being used widely by makeup lovers as a facial primer. Yes, a facial primer.


The reason this product works well as a primer is due to the ingredients. One of the main ingredients in this product is glycerin which is a product that is widely used in facial primers. Reason being is glycerin (also known as glycerol) when combined with emollients (non-cosmetic moisturizers) and oils, will make an outer barrier on the skin and attract moisture which will help soften the skin. It is also known to make things stick to the skin when applied, i.e., your foundation.

Nivea Men After Shave Balm packaging

I purchased my Nivea Men after shave balm for sensitive skin at WalMart for $7.49 but can be found at any drug store. 

The bottle comes in 100mL/3.3 Oz, which for a facial primer is a tremendous amount of product and will last you a very long time. The bottle has an easy removable screw-top lid. It is quite easy to get the product out of the bottle, and I have not come across issues of pouring out too much product. The product is pretty thin and has a very masculine smell that I don't mind.

Nivea Men After Shave Balm description

My first initial thought on this product was "Wow this smells like a guy". I don't mind male smells so once the initial whiff of it was gone it was easy to apply. The product was thin and easy to use. I used it on top of my moisturizer as I would with any primer, and this is the way that I prefer the product. I noticed right away when I used this product was it was extremely mattifying. 

Since this product was mattifying my skin, I opted and I suggest using a hydrating foundation. Two recommendations are the Too Faced born this way foundation and Estee Lauder double wear foundation. 

After wearing this product as a primer for a full work day (+eight hours), I was shocked and excited. Not only did I have zero oils breaking through I had now found a great drugstore primer for oily skin. It's like finding a needle in a haystack, so I honestly feel like I have won the makeup primer lottery. 

Nivea Men After Shave Balm liquid

Another great thing about this foundation is I find it has helped clear my skin. This could be a coincidence, but I haven't changed any skin care products in my routine since using this. Besides that point, the ingredients also make me believe it is a good product to apply to the skin to help hydration, smoothness and also adding that outer barrier. 

My final verdict, if you haven't guessed yet, is this product is an absolute must in your life. It is affordable and works very well. Now if you have dry skin, that may be an entirely different situation. But I feel it may still work for you if you keep up your moisturizer application and wear hydrating foundations. 

If you have tried this product, leave me your thoughts in the comments below!



2 comments

  1. This has been all over the internet and I am glad it worked for you too! I have dry/combo skin so I guess I'll skip it. By the way, isn't Double Wear a mattifying foundation? x

    ♥ Jadirah Sarmad at Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a more matte foundation but for me with my oily skin type it didn't appear as matte as some of my other foundations such as the l'oreal infallible, so it still worked well with the primer! :) Thank for reading :)

      Delete