How To: Clean Your Make Up Brushes

how to clean your make up brushes
Hello everyone!
Today we are talking about how to deep clean your make up brushes. Cleaning your brushes can be very tedious and just plain annoying. I personally am very lazy and will use as many brushes as I can until I run out of clean ones! It is an extremely bad habit of mine. Reason being is your make up brushes get dirty quite quickly from excess make up that builds up, bacteria, oils, and gross enough - dead skin cells. It is gross to think about, but it is important to keep your make up brushes nice and clean.

I believe that it is not the most realistic thing to be deep cleaning your make up brushes every single day, so typically I deep clean all my brushes once a week. If this isn't enough I will go in throughout the week and spot clean them using my Sonia Kashuk Brush and Sponge Cleanser. 

There are many methods and products you can use to deep clean your brushes. When I deep clean mine I use baby shampoo. I find it not only the most cost effective, but the easiest way to clean my brushes. The shampoo deep cleans them while keeping the bristles nice and soft. 

What you're going to need:
Towels
(Depending on how many brushes you have - I use one mid size towel)
Small bowl
Baby shampoo
All your dirty make up brushes

how to clean your make up brushes using shampoo

Step 1: Pour a small amount of baby shampoo into a small bowl. 

Johnson's baby shampoo to clean make up brushes

Step 2: Take your make up brush and rinse it under warm water facing downwards until all the bristles are wet. Side note: the water does not have to be burning hot. To kill bacteria water only has to be at 40 degrees.  


cleaning make up brushes

Step 3: Dip your brush into the bowl of shampoo and start making circular motions against your hand. You can also use a paper plate or a sponge if you wish. 


cleaning your make up brushes using baby shampoo

cleaning your make up brushes

Step 4: Rinse your brush under warm water and use your fingers to gently rub the shampoo out from the bristles. Gently squeeze the water out of the brush when you feel the brush is nice and clean and rid of all the shampoo.

Step 5: Roll the end of your towel on one side and lay your brush down on it. This will ensure all the water gets out from the handle as well as the brush bristles. If water is kept inside the handle it can cause rusting for metal handles, which will lead to your bristles falling out or cause the glue on the inside of the handle to release and cause your brush handle to fall off. Both two things we want to avoid!

items you need to clean your brushes

Step 6: Repeat steps 1-5 until all your brushes are nice and squeaky clean!

clean make up brushes

You're done and now your make up brushes are nice and clean and ready to apply your make up flawlessly!

Thank you all for reading, let me know below what you use to clean your make up brushes!
xoxo

38 comments

  1. I think I've tried all of the cleaning techniques by now and I must say that shampoo and soap are the ones that clean your brushes best.

    xx Izzy | Qthee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree and its super cost efficient :)

      Delete
  2. This is the same method I use to wash my brushes - but if I don't have any baby shampoo I use dish soap. (ya know, the "gentle" one for your hands?)

    xo Jenn
    www.HelloWench.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have heard that using dish soap has a very similar effect and you always have it on hand! :)

      Delete
  3. This is great, will definately give this a go. Where did you get the pots that hold your brushes from? They would go perfectly with what I already have.

    Jessica x
    jessicamichelletilly.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I got them from Ikea :) In the candle area I believe!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! glad you liked it! and same here :)

      Delete
  5. oh my gosh, cleaning face brushes is SO important, it is actually really scary to think what lives on them, dead skin is just a feeding ground! I do not do mine as often as I should, but have also started regularly washing my makeup bag too, and wiping down mascara tubes etc. You just don't think about all the other places germs can hide ey!

    www.beaucience.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so true! I have been starting to get in a better routine of cleaning my brushes more often as well as sanitizing my make up! never thought about cleaning my make up bag! great tip! thanks for reading Cheryl! :)

      Delete
  6. Great blog!
    Would you like to support each other by following each other´s blog? ^_^

    Et Omnia Vanitas

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use the same method to wash my brushes :D
    Great post hun
    Rose
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used baby shampoo to wash my brushes for the first time the other day and was soo amazed by the results, it cleaned them so much quicker and easier than anything I've used before!

    Catherine xx
    www.youwishyou.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my first time switching I was shocked! Best discovery :)

      Delete
  9. Great post! I, too, use baby shampoo to clean my brushes! :)
    Urban Obsessions // Vegan Food, Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cleaning makeup brushes is such a chore! But baby shampoo is definitely the best way to go to do it, I'm always really surprised by how much stuff comes off the brushes (gross!!)

    Jessica Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I dread doing it every time, but I'm getting faster at it! haha

      Delete
  11. I love the idea of pouring the baby shampoo/brush cleaner into another bowl, I waste so much of my Dr Bronners Magic soap squeezing into my hand for each brush!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you save a lot of product this way! Try it out :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Never heard, but your the second person to mention it, gotta check it out :)

      Delete
  13. This is a great post! Love your make up brush holders and how many brushes you have!

    Laura Likes Beauty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! :) I got the brush holders from Ikea & brushes i've been collecting for a couple years now! haha I always feel like I need more!

      Delete
    2. I really want to buy more brushes, I actually went out and bought some of the shampoo after reading this and I love how it cleans my brushes, I was using a brush cleaner that smelt chemically, so thank you for posting this :) x

      Delete
  14. Great post - I clean my brushes in the exact same way xo

    Emily | emsalice.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is how I do it too :) though sometimes I add in baby oil to the shampoo as well or use the Dr Bronner soap if I have some in. I will definitely try putting them on a towel to dry next time xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I've heard baby oil helps to really keep them soft!! good trick! thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  16. I always use baby shampoo to clean my brushes too, it's also great to clean beauty blenders. Saves so much money - rather than buying expensive brush cleaner xo

    www.thelifeofvanisha.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Its the best i've come across!

      Delete
  17. My weekly routine :) You should try Swirl and Sparkle :)

    http://villemo20.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a confession to make... I never knew how to clean make up brushes so thank you for this!

    msmistryblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely don't clean my makeup brushes as often as I should do, and after reading this, I've put it on my to-do list for tomorrow!
    www.missamyguest.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I usually use regular soap, but baby shampoo makes much more sense. Thanks for this great tip!

    http://stylesprinter.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I keep a makeup wipe out while I'm putting my makeup on and do a quick clean with that as soon as I'm done with that particular brush just to keep on top of them and then do a 'deep' clean every now and again. I'm about to get one of those silicone finger glovey egg cleanery things through in the post so as soon as that's in it's deep clean time! *cries*
    littlemissmazz.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete